那打素醫院全名是「雅麗氏何妙齡那打素醫院」，是三間醫院合而為一的名稱。1881年的香港，成立了一醫務委員會，推展西式醫學，為貧苦的華人服務。委員多是倫敦傳道會的會員，主席戴維斯先生(H. M. Davis)捐款最多，他選用他母親的姓氏，名之為那打素診所(Nethersole Dispensary)，1893年那打素醫院(Nethersole Hospital)正式開辦。雅麗氏(Alice Walken)紀念醫院，建築費全由何啟醫生捐助，何醫生為紀念其亡妻，因而得名。該院於1887年開辦，曾於1904年增建為產科紀念醫院，1929年重建為新的雅麗氏紀念醫院(Alice Memorial Hospital)。何妙齡女士，其父為何福堂牧師，弟為何啟醫生，丈夫為伍廷芳律師，她捐資興建一新醫院，於1906年竣工，名為何妙齡醫院(Ho Miu Ling Hospital)。因時代演變，於1954年三合一成為雅麗氏何妙齡那打素醫院，以婦產科及護士訓練學校為最著，名重香港。
Council for World Mission/Nethersole Fund
Fung Sau Chung
Translated by K. Kwan
Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Hospital, the full name of the generally-known Nethersole Hospital, encompasses three hospital facilities. A Medical Mission Committee was established in 1881 in Hong Kong to promote Western medicine to serve poor Chinese. The committee was mostly made up of members of the London Missionary Society. Chairman Mr. H.M. Davis, who donated substantially, chose his mother’s maiden name to set up the Nethersole Dispensary. And in 1893, the Nethersole Hospital was established. In honour of his late wife, Hon. Sir Kai Ho (Dr. Kai Ho), C.M.G. built the Alice Memorial Hospital in 1887. A new maternity memorial hospital was added in 1904, and in 1929 rebuilt to become the new Alice Memorial Hospital. Ms. Ho Miu Ling-the daughter of Rev. Ho Fuk Tong, sister of Hon. Sir Kai Ho) and wife of barrister Mr. Wu Ting Fang-donated to build the Ho Miu Ling Hospital in 1906. Due to the changes in the society, the three hospital facilities combined to become Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Hospital in 1954. The hospital’s specialty in maternity care and nurse training is widely recognized in Hong Kong.
In 1954, the Nethersole Hospital located beside the Hop Yat Church on Bonham Road planned to move to Tai Po in the New Territories. In 1994, the old site of the Nethersole Hospital (belonging to The Council for World Mission, previously known as the London Missionary Society) on Bonham Road went on sale for residential development. Upon agreement, the board of directors at The Council for World Mission and the Nethersole Executive Committee approved that a portion of the benefits from the sale of the land, approximately HK$465 million (or 22.5% of the total sale profit), was to be used to establish the CWM/Nethersole Fund with the goal to support evangelical missions in Hong Kong and China, medical & health development, education and social services. The goal was to promote Christ's love and unconditional sharing.
The above-mentioned Nethersole Fund is overseen by 10 trustees-three appointed from the Hong Kong Christian Council, three appointed from Nethersole Hospital Executive Committee, three appointed from The Hong Kong Council of the Church of Christ in China (Council for World Mission's only member in Hong Kong) and one appointed from Council for World Mission’s senior missionaries in Hong Kong. The Fund has a screening committee and a finance sub-committee. The screening committee is responsible for screening grant proposals and the respective organizations' purpose and social benefits, and making recommendations to the Board of Trustees. The finance sub-committee established a CWM/Nethersole Investment Company Ltd in August of 1999 in preparation for future capital investment. A portion of the fund is used for investing by Fund Managers. All interest generated from the investment funded grant proposals and their respective organizations.
Since its inception in 1997, the Nethersole Fund supported 576 different projects in Hong Kong and China. The people having benefited from the grants included the blind, the deaf, the mentally handicapped, the disabled, orphans, homeless, unemployed, prisoners, new immigrants from Mainland, local minorities from Nepal, Indonesia and Sri Lanka, spiritual and emotional counseling, hospital pastoral counseling etc. The Fund also supported Mainland’s Christianity research among the southwestern minority regions, medical professional training, purchase of mobile clinics and pertinent equipments, church relocation projects in Chongqing, etc. It was the guidance and blessing of God that kept the Fund abreast of time. Looking towards the future, we hope the Fund will continue to bless those in need and let the Gospel be known. To date, the Fund has granted HK$185 million of the interest generated from the foundation’s investment. 31% of the funding went to evangelism, 27% to social services, 8% to education (seminary studies), and 34% to medical & health work. 52% of the applications came from Hong Kong organizations and the remaining 48% came from Mainland China.
The screening criteria focuses on 1) projects that cater to the needs of marginal people; 2) projects that cater to the special needs in the society; 3) creative projects; 4) the credibility of the applying organization; 5) project’s longevity; 6) projects for professional training and development; and 7) projects of personal or scholarships will not be considered.